Jedi Minute 1: Vile Gangster
January 5th, 2015
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away...
The hosts and the podcast are back!
Starts with nothing; a void.
Ends with words going across the screen informing us that Luke is going to rescue his friend from the clutches of Jabba the Hutt.
- The other crawls start with a "big picture' statement while this one starts with emphasis on Luke Skywalker. It is less poetry, more prose.
- The hosts feel nostalgic for the 20th Century Fox logo. What logos will be shown in future movies.
- Return of the Jedi is controversial. It was supposed to be Revenge of the Jedi but it was pointed out to George Lucas that Jedi don't seek revenge so he changed it. There are various stories about exactly how this title change came about.
- The original plot was more revengey so revenge in the title made sense.
- Referenced: Benji; Boomer.
- Jedi was an obscure term to use in the title of the movie.
- Referenced: The Hobbit; The Chronicles of Riddick; Iron-Man; The Rise of Ultron; The Wrath of Khan.
- Return of the Jedi was shot under the working title Blue Harvest to deflect spies and to prevent price gouging by suppliers.
- Vile gangster is a great phrase.
- There are many things in this movie that have a lot of promise but don't really deliver.
- Jabba being on Tatooine is new, and surprising, information - why is he there and why was Han also on that planet at the beginning of Star Wars?
- There are many coincidences in the Star Wars universe and Tatooine is at the center of many Star Wars stories.
- Lucas made a lot of decisions for Return of the Jedi to reduce costs.
- What does the crawl smell like? Vile; it stinks.
- 15:55 podcast episode length.
- With the release of this episode, the guys ended their longest-ever hiatus (more than half a year).
- Support the Show, starwarsminute.com/merch.
- Alex: Return of the Jedi and return of the STAR WARS MINUTE.
- Alex: We'll come back with more crawl action tomorrow. Pete: We'll come crawling back tomorrow.