Jedi Minute 11: Dank in the Desert
(Redirected from Return of the Jedi 11)Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
January 19th, 2015
One of Jabba's Gamorrean guards marches Artoo and Threepio down a dank, shadowy passageway lined with holding cells.
- Starts with the vile gangster Jabba the Hutt saying that he will not bargain for his favorite decoration "Han Solo in carbonite".
- Ends with R2-D2 going through Jabba's haunted dungeon.
- There are shots of a few cool aliens:
- Amanaman - the big green guy.
- Hermie Odle - the hunchback.
- Ree-Yees - the three-eyed goat-man.
- It would have been cool if Jabba accepted the bargain and swapped Han for the droids.
- What is the plan exactly? Joe runs us through it.
- Luke could have used generic droids but instead used his personal, special droids.
- Jabba explains to the droids why he can't accept the deal - exposition alert!
- What C-3PO and R2-D2 are saying to each other.
- Is everyone in the palace supposed to stop and listen when Jabba is talking?
- Jabba is a vile gangster but is not a Don Corleone type; he is more like a Jessie Pinkman character.
- Referenced: Breaking Bad.
- Everyone in the palace is clearly tipsy.
- Han in carbonite is really Jabba's only decoration in the palace - and it has a spotlight on it. It's like when Jessie Pinkman bought the expensive stereo system.
- Everyone laughs at Jabba's bad jokes.
- Behind the scenes:
- A crew member smoked a cigar and then exhaled the smoke into a pipe.
- The pipe went up to Jabba's mouth and the smoke would come out whenever he spoke.
- This is a better job than the crew member in Jabba's tail.
- The camera pans over to Han in carbonite. This reminds us that this is still Star Wars (even though it feels very different).
- Looks like a big plant.
- His race is Amani.
- He is a bounty hunter.
- In the Star Wars universe, who pays the bounty to the bounty hunters? The hosts say that it's the respective local authorities.
- In Star Wars, "Bounty Hunter" means gun for hire or mercenary.
- Boba Fett is at Jabba's Palace. He must have a card that gives him full access to the palace. How long has he been there (i.e. how long has it been since Boba Fett delivered Han to Jabba)?
- When does Boba Fett take off his helmet? Never, it's like his trademark.
- Mentioned: The guitarist Slash and his top-hat.
- Hermie Odle:
- He is not a bounty hunter.
- He invents weapons.
- He survives the sail barge explosion and looks like a big blob.
- Hermie Odle is very muppety.
- A three-eyed goat-man and is not a bounty hunter.
- Nor is he a senator or pod racer.
- Jabba implanted a bomb in Ree-Yees that could be activated by Jabba saying a certain word.
- When Jabba is being choked by Leia he tries to say the word to blow up Ree-Yees and therefore blow-up Leia as well.
- How Ree-Yees would blow up - like Daffy Duck in cartoons.
- According to EU, Ree-Yees hands are deformed. This is because the prequel movie makers didn't match his hands when they used characters of the same race and so this had to be explained.
- The Ree-Yees action figure is cool - although it also has a small explosive device planted in it.
- The Amanaman action figure was very rare. There is a Hermie Odle action figure as well.
- The Jabba Palace aliens are a disappointment compared to the cantina scene. They are too muppety and look "fan-made".
- Also, the cantina was lit and edited better.
- Amanaman looks like a paper-mache character.
- R2-D2 goes into the dungeon. It is very dank for a desert setting.
- Why are those guys in the cells in the dungeon? Too give it a haunted house effect or because they're waiting for their punishment.
- The hosts explain that this is all part of the plan:
- Our heroes are trying to be captured.
- This will then force Jabba to leave the palace to punish them.
- Jabbe will take a small number of people with him, thereby making it easier for our heroes to escape.
- Chewbacca and Lando know Jabba's standard practice and used this information to formulate the plan.
- It's still a risky plan - spoilers about the Rancor Pit.
- Support the Show.
- 23:06 podcast episode length.
- Cold-open: Multiple 8-DAY-GREEDO calls - The name of the second Death Star.
- Sentinel Base (from EU).
- The New Alderaan.
- The Tarkin.
- The USS Pol Treidum.
- The hosts promote spamsongs.com.
- Joe is the first "four-fecta" guest - i.e. he's done every Star Wars movie so far and the Holiday Special.
- Joe says that 2015 is the year in which the movie Return of the Jedi actually occurs.
- Joe: And I'm Joe Dator and I'm an award-wanting—correction, multiple award-wanting—cartoonist.
- Pete: <In response to Joe getting multiple audio notifications on his phone in the background> You're blowing up - like R5-D4.