Star Wars Minute 56: Warning! Death Star In Area!
(Redirected from Star Wars 56)Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
August 19th, 2013
In a way, Princess Leia determines the choice of the planet that’ll be destroyed first
- Peter Cushing spends this minute waxing poetic.
- Why doesn't Leia recognize Alderaan from space? Maybe she doesn't get back there too often.
- Maybe because we only have the one planet it's easy for us to recognize the Earth from space, and if we were more spacefaring maybe it would be different.
- Tarkin's title: Grand Moff vs. Governor
- Grand Moff is never used in the Original Trilogy.
- <Probably Danish> Magazine that explained that Sith were an aquatic race that needed apparatus to breathe on land.
- Is this where Jar Jar came from?!
- Pronunciation of "Leia" as "Lee-uh"
- Lucas dialogue sounds ridiculous when spoken aloud.
- Referenced: The Roxbury Guys
- None of the top-notch British actors get to play off each other
- Could the people on Alderaan see the Death Star enter the system?
- If so, how did they react?
- Do they get alerts on their smart phones the way we get warnings about hazardous weather?
- 15:05 podcast episode length
- Much like Alderaan, Costa Rica has no formal military1
- Although Pete said he'd post the link to the magazine he mentioned to the facebook page, he must have forgotten to do this. It would therefore make an excellent listener project
- Origin of referring to the Death Squad Commanders as DJs.
- Alex mentions Space Jimmy Smits fleeing with a Cuisinart (food processor). This is a reference to Willrow Hood in Empire Minute 107: Why Not?.
Size of the Death Star
- According to Wookieepedia, the Death Star is 120 kilometers (about 75 miles) across 2, which is about 29 times smaller than our moon 3. That means that to appear even as large as the head of a pin (about 1.5 millimeters) it would need to be more than 5 times closer to Alderaan than our moon is to us 4. At a distance of 400,000 km (250,000 mi), which is the roughly the distance from the Earth to the Moon, it would be at the absolute limit of human Angular Resolution (the smallest possible object discernible with the unaided eye). So, no, the Alderaanians would have no idea what was coming 5.
- Pete: "All the Darths."
- Ryan: "Maybe Aquaman is a Sith."
- Pete: "We have no weapons—except for that giant mirror."