Star Wars Minute 82: Jarvis
(Redirected from Star Wars 82)Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
September 24th, 2013.
Luke begs Threepio to shut down all the garbage mashers on the detention level.
- Starts with Luke yelling at C-3PO to shut down all the garbage mashers on the detention level and ends with R2-D2 attempting to shut down all the garbage mashers on the detention level.
- What's the deal with all the barrels on the Death Star? There were heaps in the 'Pol Treidum Memorial Control Room' and now there are more near this computer port being used by the droids. Are they for Darth Vader to Force throw at people?
- Han Solo's line "we're all going to be a lot thinner" is very corny. Perhaps Han's vanity is showing here.
- As the walls are getting closer together shouldn't the garbage be getting higher? Also, where does the water and the Dianoga go? Pete explains that the clunk we hear just before the walls start moving is a drain opening to drain the water, and the Dianoga goes with the water. Alex says that this means that water on the Death Star must be recycled, which is not very hygienic, to which Doug responds with the quote below.
- If the trash compactor worked like it's supposed to then there would be a thin wall of trash left right in the middle of the room blocking the door. If so, how do they then get it out of the room? Lucas knew that they didn't have to worry about these type of details as a) once our heroes were out of the room it wouldn't matter and b) no-one will be analyzing this silly children's movie in that type of detail down the track.
- C-3PO turning off the comms link is another example of Threepio not doing his job. Pete again raises the possibility that C-3PO is not all that excited about the rescue and mission succeeding.
- C-3PO is a robot; why does he need a handheld comms link to communicate? Shouldn't that tech be built in to C-3PO?
- Referenced: Tony Stark and Jarivs in Iron Man.
- Alex makes the point that it's even worse than that - Luke is talking to C-3PO who is talking to R2-D2 who is talking to the Death Star computer who is taking action. Lives could be lost in that chain of command.
- Pete points out that a similar problem exists in the Prequels ("Sorry Pete") when robots require binoculars and other extraneous items.
- Doug asks why tech has gone backwards in the Star Wars universe over time? Pete says, for example, why isn't there a Gun That Shoots Lightsabers by now? (Note - no answer provided).
- R2-D2 checking to see if the heroes have been captured. Via a trending hashtag?
- R2-D2 sticks his probe into the computer port (that's how we know he's a boy) and a block of ice emerges from the port. What is this all about? Perhaps it's a robot sugary treat.
- Are the Stormtrooper bodies still on the Millennium Falcon at this point? Or did Han leave them for Lando to find some three years later? The scanning crew probably haven't even been reported as missing at this point - especially given that Pol Treidum is no longer in the loop.
- The term garbage mashers (used by Luke) instead of trash compactors. How does Luke know about these things given his background? He gets up to speed pretty quickly. He quickly becomes an X-wing pilot without ever having flown one before. Or perhaps Luke doesn't know a fancy word like compactor and just says 'masher' instead.
- 13:09 podcast episode length.
- Doug would love someone to watch the movie for the first time minute-by-minute while listening to each SWM podcast episode.
- Jarvis from Iron Man was voiced by Paul Bettany, who would later portray Dryden Vos in Solo.
- Doug: I'm Doug Benson from life.
- Doug: Responding to Alex's concern about using recycled water on the Death Star "It's, you know, I mean, the Death Star is just like, ah, there's a lot of design problems, you know, especially that one where if you just shoot right into the right hole it destroys the entire thing!"
- Doug: I mean, that WAS a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
- Pete: Activate the go up room!