Star Wars Minute 15: Beepy Whistle the Robot
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
June 21st, 2013.
Minute 15 of Star Wars: Life inside the Sandcrawler, and R2-D2 reunites with C-3PO.
- This minute takes place almost exclusively inside the Sandcrawler with R2-D2 captured by the Jawas and <spoilers> C-3PO also 'rescued' by the Jawas; the droids are reunited.
- Appearance of R5-D4, RA-7 (Death Star droid), GNK power droid (gonk droid) and CZ-3 ("Cross-eyed droid from the Sandcrawler").
- This minute captures what makes Star Wars unique - it has that real lived in look. Trash compactor; junky spaceship; junk in the Sandcrawler.
- Steel wool (robot fuzz) on R2-D2's head.
- The creation that is CZ-3. He appears elsewhere in the trilogy - fun to keep an eye out for him (e.g. in ESB with the Ugnaughts).
- The CZ series of droids were clearly defective from the beginning.
- Why does R5-D4 have two eyes when R2-D2 only has one? Chris imagines R5 as a gardening / watering droid. He therefore malfunctions because he needs water to function but is trapped in the desert.
- Chris wants to watch the mirror universe version of Star Wars that track the adventures of CZ-3 and R5-D4 (see quote below). The hosts imagine the story-line for this version of the movie. Chris imagines that R5-D4 is played by "Lenny Baxter" (as opposed to Kenny Baker for R2-D2) and Lenny has a mustache. Alex says that CZ-3 is played by a Czechoslovakian mime ("Anton Danielson").
- The Death Star droid is clearly foreign. What's going on at the droid company to make the creepy, insect looking Death Star droid? Maybe they're for the insect planets. Chris says, in that case, maybe CZ-3 is for the planet inhabited by people that look like CZ-3.
- C-3PO's eyes glow in the dark in this minute. How did he wind up to be on the Sandcrawler exactly? Also, they're droids, why didn't they clean-up a bit?
- How much junk in the Sandcrawler scene was recycled for the trash compactor scene?
- 16:15 podcast episode length.
- Cold-open: Alex attempts a high energy Friday opening; he bails out of it very early on.
- CZ-3 figurines should just be hidden all around the house propped up against things.
- Kids had two R series toy options in the 70s - R2-D2 or R5-D4 (which was never as good as R2).
- "Czechoslovakia" is no longer a country: it peacefully split into two sovereign states, The Czech Republic (aka Czechia) and Slovakia, on January 1st, 1993.
- Droid lore: Toys (including Kenner figurines), film depictions and Expanded Universe stories.
- Gonk is discussed in some detail - see SWM Characters.
- Chris would like to come back for the deleted scene of Luke talking to Biggs on Tosche Station.
- Thanks to and from Chris for being on the show.
- Chris: A minute of weird, junky robots, hanging out in junk.
- Alex: His name is CZ-3 and he deserves your respect just as much as every other robot.
- Chris: In regards to CZ-3 and R5-D4 "You thought R2-D2 and C-3PO were bad; get a load of these idiots".
- Pete: Tatooine has got two moons.
- Alex: You were like "Other nerds; I'm saved. OVER HERE!"