Star Wars Minute 24: He Knew My Father?
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
July 4th, 2013.
Luke sits down for a meal with Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. He has questions about his father and "Old Ben".
- Uncle Owen is a bit of a jerk and gets antsy.
- Luke's father is discussed in detail for the first time. Luke makes some strange logic leaps during the discussion.
- Blue milk and all that it entails.
- The humming noise in the Lars house; it would make a great sound / video 10-hour loop.
- Referenced: YouTube; The Enterprise from Star Trek.
- Uncle Owen may be resentful of having to raise Luke as his own.
- Luke is genuinely, and naively, concerned that the droids may have been stolen (the Jawas only deal in stolen items).
- Saying someone doesn't exist anymore is a very round-about way of saying they're dead.
- It sounds like Luke knows Ben already; there is an expanded universe story in which Luke and Ben bump into each other and it is implied that Ben is always keeping a watchful eye on Luke.
- Uncle Owen's dismissive attitude toward droids reflects society's general view of these devices.
- C-3PO has already lived on the Lars' homestead in the Prequels and Uncle Owen has no recognition of him and doesn't even care.
- Referenced: Clippy from Microsoft Office '97.
- Luke is also condescending when he first meets C-3PO in an earlier minute.
- For a protocol droid, C-3PO is pretty bad at reading social cues. He is also a prissy jerk at this stage.
- The "I don't like you either" line is also used in the cantina sequence.
- Use of the words "hell" and "wizard" in the Star Wars universe - indicates religion and magic.
- Milking Banthas.
- Referenced: Forget-Me-Nows on Arrested Development.
- Is this meal lunch or dinner? The hosts think that it's probably an early dinner.
- Day time, night time and meal time on Tatooine.
- Aunt Beru says "Luke" exactly the same way every time.
- The ceiling mural and the droid in the background - Treadwell. Treadwell is to be discussed in the next podcast episode.
- 16:09 podcast episode length.
- Different intro music for this podcast episode (no explanation provided).
- Happy 4th of July.
- Anthony: And I'm going to say that my name is Anthony Antilles.
- Alex: Droids stolen: duh.
- Pete: As Uncle Owen "He died about the same time as President Kennedy." As Luke "He knew President Kennedy?"
- Pete: It's like if all of a sudden your toaster started having opinions on things.
- Pete: I would hate to have to milk a Bantha.
- Pete: Happy Independence Day!