Star Wars Minute 33: Ben's House
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
July 17th, 2013.
Minute 33: Ben takes Luke home and tells him about his father.
- A lot of the conversation in this minute is built on in the prequels (e.g. Jedi knights, space freighters, The Clone Wars).
- Ben's comments in this minute about Uncle Owen wanting Luke's father to stay on the farm and not get involved do not align with what actually happens in the prequels.
- Lots of good 'Star Wars' stuff in this minute.
- Ben appears to be telling Luke rehearsed lies (at best) about his father.
- From Pete: Ben's house in the movie is an actual house in the real world. It's like a small shed off the side of a Mosque and actually faces The Mediterranean right on the beach.
- Did Ben buy his house, or maybe use The Force to make it out of stone?
- Is The Force like the Green Lantern ring, or telekinesis?
- If Ben didn't make his house then where did it come from?
- This is the minute whereby PTR posits his, now famous, theory that The Force doesn't actually exist and is just a powerful state of mind.
- Does Ben have a job / money etc? What does he eat?
- Highlights of this minute include a torso camera wipe as C-3PO stands up, and the physicality of Anthony Daniels' acting (which is always good - e.g. little head moves).
- Alex wonders if Anthony Daniels is actually in the C-3PO suit at the beginning of this minute - i.e. still in the desert - or if Mark Hamill is controlling the head with a rod off camera. This theory is generally discounted by Gaz (and Pete and Alex ultimately agree with Gaz).
- The idea of The Clone Wars in this minute sounds better than having it explained at length in newer movies and series.
- Jedis, Jedi knights and how well known they are throughout the 'Star Wars' universe.
- Gaz explains how he interpreted Ben and Luke's father's relationship as a child.
- Did George Lucas know, at this point, that Darth Vader is Luke's father?
- Ben's house, how it looks and how everything works. Also, what is the panel on the wall for? Is it a 'Star Wars universe version of Big Mouth Billy Bass' or a telephone?
- Biff from 'Back to the Future' and Cantina Band references.
- Ben seems to know a lot about Luke in this minute and Luke seems to take it quite well. Wouldn't he be surprised?
- General conclusion from this minute - Luke is really easy going and doesn't really understand what is going on a lot of the time.
- The decoration on the box that holds the Lightsaber looks like a sword. Is the box therefore Ben's sword box?
- Referenced: From Dune - "...navigator on a spice freighter".
- 19:04 podcast episode length.
- Old Ben's house still exists, and it's located at 33°44'27.0"N 10°44'05.8"E which is in Tunisia.
- Gaz: And it's me Gaz from Old Man Hair Warehouse.
- Alex: And it ends with Obi-Wan Kenobi in his house and he's getting Luke's Lightsaber out. Gaz: Wait, what?
- Gaz: To Pete "So telepathy to you is less mystical than telekinesis and that's why you choose to believe that?" Pete: <long pause> "Yes" Gaz: "Ok. You're a complicated man, Sir."
- Alex: To Pete "So you're saying in the end when he uses The Force to blow-up the Death Star that was more about sort of..." Gaz: "Convincing the Death Star to blow-up!"
- Alex: Maybe its like a telephone or something. Maybe...he calls Yoda. Gaz: He's a hermit; he's not calling anybody.