Star Wars Minute 54: The Rule of Science Fiction
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
August 15th, 2013.
The Millennium Falcon blasts its way out of Mos Eisley.
- Han runs up the ramp; the Falcon takes off and is pursued by Imperial Star Destroyers.
- Luke's experience travelling on spaceships up until this point.
- Did the Lars' travel on spaceships when they went on holidays?
- Luke seems to be a bit annoyed by being on the Falcon.
- Luke still smarting from Ben calling him "little one".
- Mike asks - Why was Han in such a hurry to get away?
- Could the Stormtroopers actually shoot down the Millennium Falcon? (Note: see below).
- Seatbelts on the Falcon.
- R2-D2's stability on spaceships.
- Guns / lasers mounted on the Millennium Falcon.
- Chewbacca getting out of his life debt by not trying too hard to protect Han with the gun / laser.
- Would Han really push Luke out of the air-lock as he threatens to?
- The camera angle showing Tatooine above the Imperial Cruisers. This means that from the ground on Tatooine the Cruisers would have been upside down.
- The sci-fi rule that, on camera, spaceships are always shown the right way up.
- The general lack of gravity / gravitational effects in Star Wars and how these effects would have looked cool if actually shown in the movies.
- The theory that the Empire only conquered planets that had similar gravity and destroyed all the rest.
- The round door and padded walls on the Falcon.
- The toy Millennium Falcon, the layout of the ship and what we see of it's interior in the movies.
- The sick-bay on the Millennium Falcon and robot doctors and computers on the ship.
- Referenced: Web MD, "M"-Class planets from that other Sci-Fi franchise..
- Hypochondria on the Millennium Falcon.
- The number of crew on the Millennium Falcon in the past.
- Was the chess board already on the Millennium Falcon or did Han and Chewbacca have it installed? If they had it installed then who was the best player?
- Lightspeed and hyperspace seem to be interchangeable terms, or maybe Han just doesn't know what they mean.
- Han says that he knows a few maneuvers to avoid the Star Destroyers and then flies in a perfectly straight line.
- 17:55 podcast episode length.
- Cold-open (ad read): Episode "brought to you by" LessAccounting.com.
- The "garage door" effect shot is homaged in The Force Awakens.
- In this episode Pete tells the tragic story of the time he threw out two toy Millennium Falcons during a house move in the early to mid 00s due to a "fit of having too much stuff".
- 8-DAY-GREEDO mentioned.
- Stormtroopers disabling/destroying a spaceship will be brought up again during The Force Awakens Minute.
- Pete: Yeah, those gravity masks.
- Pete: Agh, Millennium Falcons!
- Mike: There wasn't a time when you said..."I swear, from this day forth, that I am no longer a Star Wars nerd?".
- Pete: The rest of [the Falcon] is full of cockroaches.
- Alex: You tell it your symptoms like "My hand has been cut-off" and then it says "Put this on the end of your hand <arm>".
- Mike: As Han "I'm going to go to the star-streaky button".