Star Wars Minute 55: Having a Tarkin Bath
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
August 16th, 2013.
The Falcon jumps to hyperspace while Leia gets sassy with the Grand Moff.
- Starts with the Imperial Cruisers chasing the Millennium Falcon.
- The first time we see the 'stretched star' visual effect for jumping to hyperspace.
- Ends with the Empire getting ready to destroy Alderaan.
- System naming conventions (named after the planet or named after the relevant sun?).
- System name word play: Solar system => Solo system => Han Solo system => Lando system.
- The lack of actual stars in Star Wars.
- Coming out of hyperspace too close to a star.
- The garbled Han Solo line relating to supernovas (or something).
- Does Luke know what crop-dusting means?
- Han slapping Luke's hand.
- Ben and Luke rushing to the cockpit and Han kicking them out.
- Ben making sure that Han knows that he's flown before; trying to be "with it".
- The Millennium Falcon in the Prequels.
- Referenced: Star Trek and warp speed.
- Star Wars invented the 'stretched star' visual effect and this effect wasn't used in the Prequels.
- The ambient noise on The Death Star is very similar to the background noise in the Lars' kitchen. Mike theorises that this is a common noise on Tatooine and is used on The Death Star to make Darth Vader feel at home. Maybe there are also climate controls on The Death Star to make it feel like Tatooine.
- Does Darth Vader's suit have its own climate controls? If so, what temperature is it in there?
- Darth Vader catching a cold.
- Princess Leia has a lot of spunk in this scene, although it potentially leads to the death of millions of people.
- A possible cut scene / sequence showing Han, Leia and Luke all in their private torments as the head back to Yavin after escaping from The Death Star. Han over Greedo, Leia over Alderaan and Luke over the Lars' (and Ben).
- Leia's British accent at certain times; her "diplomat voice". Pete mentions that Queen Amidala has a similar accent at certain times in the Prequels.
- Referenced: Bad British accents in The Ink Banthas show.
- Tarkin bows to Leia at the start of their conversation.
- Tarkin being stinky.
- Mike suggests that on The Death Star, getting up in the morning and only washing your face is known as "having a Tarkin bath".
- Han's line "Here's where the fun begins" - and he actually means it; flying is his 'thing'.
- Mike shares his earliest memories of Star Wars. He thinks he saw it on television first and toys were his main introduction. 2-1B was his favorite and this leads to a general discussion about Star Wars 'action figures'.
- As a kid, Pete used his 2-1B figurine in his M*A*S*H toy set-up from time-to-time.
- Referenced: M*A*S*H, Alan Alda, Klinger.
- 21:22 podcast episode length.
- In this episode, Pete and Alex are still trying to firmly stick to their policy of not talking about anything that hasn't happened in the movies yet - however Mike is having none of it. Alex encourages Mike to call 8-DAY-GREEDO with any comments about later minutes.
- If the Star Wars galaxy is anything like ours, because space is so big and empty, if Han just pointed the ship in a random direction and went to lightspeed then their odds of actually hitting anything unintentionally are vanishingly small. See this cool video from Because Science on YouTube for more info.
- Ironically, every day of filming Peter Cushing would splash his face with lavender water, so he smelled great.
- Alex: As Luke "Yeah, I was in my spaceship, I was flying, it was totally dusting crops, it was awesome!".
- Pete: As Ben "How soon until you can make the jump to hypersound?"
- Alex: Sorry Pete.
- Mike: Sorry Pete.
- Mike: As Darth Vader 'Oh, that reminds me of the that time I murdered all those Sand People".
- Mike: You've got some good ideas for the special editions Pete: We have to make our own special edition; that's the goal of this project.
- Mike: As Leia "That's for Alderaan; boo-ya! Eat it, Tarkin!"
- Pete: I know I hate to talk about the prequels, but...
- Alex: Oh, Governor Fartkin.
- Mike: A part of me was like oh, maybe that's too obscure - but I forgot what podcast I was on.
- Alex: But we'll save that for the M*A*S*H minute podcast.