Star Wars Minute 5: The Mysterious Hand
Jump to navigation Jump to search
June 7th, 2013.
Minute 5 of Star Wars: The invasion of the blockade runner continues and R2-D2 breaks away from action to move toward a mysterious figure.
- First appearance of Darth Vader, or at least a character dressed in all-black (Darth Vader's name is not said in this minute).
- First utterance of name "R2-D2", and therefore the first utterance of a main character's name that is on-screen at the same time (Princess Leia's name has been uttered but we haven't seen her yet).
- A mysterious hand appears at the end of this minute.
- The robots recklessly walk across the hallway during the battle. Was this scene intended as a joke by George Lucas?
- Last depiction in film of non-main character Rebels fighting in a non-space battle (in the Original Trilogy).
- Darth Vader's suit seems to gets shinier over time, although it was VERY shiny at the end of episode 3.
- Apart from the shininess, Vader's suit does not change or develop much over the 20 years between episode 3 (ROTS) and episode 4 (SW).
- Referenced: Iron Man (in particular his suit and the way it developed over time).
- Darth Vader is clearly the evil bad guy; although Alex wonders what 1970's adult audiences actually thought of him.
- First time viewer speculation: Is Darth Vader a human or a robot?
- "Cliffhanger" at the end of the first week of the podcast.
- C-3PO's line "Artoo Deetoo, where are you!?" and the use of this line in the Imperial Troop Transport toy.
- The value of toys and media that could play sound clips from the thing you liked - before the age of home video.
- Referenced: That's Hollywood (the opening montage included a Star Wars video clip - the X-wings flying down the trench on the Death Star).
- Referenced: The Story of Star Wars.
- What is the Rebel's strategy in this battle given that they are already captured? Create a distraction long enough for Princess Leia to escape and/or deal with the secret plans?
- Pete and Alex outline a plan that would see the Rebels escape as follows - one rebel gets off the blockade runner, sneaks on to the Star Destroyer, deactivates the tractor beam...etc.
- The Rebels do ultimately surrender in this battle.
- Alex states that there needs to be a fan edit of episodes 1, 2, and 3 that condenses them all into one movie.
- Pete had bootlegs of ESB and ROTJ on beta-max video cassette as a kid.
- George Lucas's intentions with certain scenes will be second guessed multiple times during the SWM journey. Pete's tip is to never 'over-estimate' his intentions.
- 14:05 podcast episode length.
- "The Mysterious Hand" is the name of Arthur's lost library book in the children's TV show "Arthur".
- Princess Leia's hand double for this scene was Penny McCarthy.
- Alex will bring up the opening of "That's Hollywood" again in a later minute.
- Pete: If I'm a grumpy old man in the theater in 1977, I can be like, "What the hell? So far this film is all robots, there's one human, and he just got shot... What the hell is this movie about? I don't know."
- Pete: In an old-timey voice "Whose mysterious hand is touching R2-D2?" Alex: Also in an old-timey voice "What will happen to the golden robot?"
- Alex: Don't worry folks, there are some exciting scenes coming up.