That's No Moonraker: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
|←Previous Episode||Next Episode→|
June 27th, 2020
Pete and Alex have all the time in the world to discuss the 6th James Bond movie.
- Longest title for a James Bond film and longest movie until it was surpassed by the 2006 Casino Royale.
- Sixth movie based on the 10th novel (11th book). Ian Fleming wrote this while in Jamaica filming Doctor No.
- They thought about going straight from You Only Live Twice to The Man with the Golden Gun and Roger Moore. But Cambodia was too unstable to film there. Roger Moore couldn't wait around because he was busy filming "The Saint".
- They almost say the title of the film a few times, but never exactly; they broke their streak.
- However they say the most phrases that will become other Bond movies: "the world is not enough", "license to kill", and "SPECTRE".
- The hosts forgot to rank the last movie.
- After handing in his resignation, Bond packs up his desk, taking mementos from each of his previous adventures and musical themes from those films play.
- Exception is nothing from Goldfinger.
- "Sands through the hourglass" in the credit sequence.
- "This never happened to the other fellow". Meta-commentary/fourth wall thing? Either way it's fuel for the Codename theory.
- Alex's wife always assumed the codename theory was true/on-screen Canon.
- But Moneypenny treats him like he's Sean Connery. There's even the line "same old James Bond".
Sean Connery Bond retires to Japan after You Only Live Twice. Bond met Blofeld two years ago (the timeline lines up) and maybe they put George Lazenby Bond on the SPECTRE case at that time, giving Moneypenny time to form a relationship with him as well. Is it a succession thing like it is in Spectre? Maybe 007 has an understudy. Recall that in the chronology of the books, James Bond is so devastated by the events of this movie that's why he is busted down to 7777 at the start of You Only Live Twice. George Lazenby Bond retires because his fiancée/wife is killed. They don't have an understudy ready yet because he's only been on the job for 2 years that's why they bring Connery Bond back. And Rodger Moore gets bumped up to 077 but he's not ready to be 0O7 yet.
- Apparently this one stays pretty close to the book, it's less cartoony and there are very few gadgets.
- Pete: There's a lot of things get broken in this film.
Star Wars names
|Star Wars pun names for On Her Majesty's Secret Service|