Empire Minute 56: Rumspringa
(Redirected from The Empire Strikes Back 56)Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
March 31st, 2014
The boy is bewildered, but it gradually dawns on him that the little creature is Yoda, the Jedi Master, and that he is speaking with Ben.
- Starts with Luke complaining that Yoda is wasting his time; ends with Yoda complaining that Luke is wasting his time.
- Whiny Luke and Yoda. Luke throws a tantrum - he may be angry because he hasn't eaten all day.
- Luke doesn't have the remotest idea of what Yoda looks like. Why didn't Obi-Wan tell him?
- Yoda is reluctant to take on Luke as a student. Obi-Wan may have told Luke about Dagobah against Yoda's wishes.
- Did Obi-Wan even tell Yoda about Luke? Perhaps Luke just showed up unexpectedly for Yoda.
- This is all part of the Jedi test for Luke.
- Yoda should have known about Luke (and Leia) when they were born.
- Yoda was watching Luke so he did know something about them. Why didn't Yoda just raise Luke and Leia?
- Luke speaking like Yoda all the way through Star Wars.
- Yoda doesn't want to open up the whole Jedi can of worms again.
- Why are they only training Luke and not Leia? 70's sexism perhaps.
- Luke didn't actually display any Force power back on Tatooine.
- How was Yoda going to get rid of Luke if he didn't agree to train him? Yoda is just testing Luke but Luke is very angry the whole time.
- Perhaps Yoda's soup had a laxative in it. This was Yoda's Plan b to get rid of Luke.
- Does Yoda's hut have a bathroom? Maybe the swamps are just made up of Yoda's waste after years of exile.
- Would Luke even fit in Yoda's bathroom?
- Luke doesn't react when Obi-Wan speaks to Yoda for the first time. This is learned behavior by Luke after years of hearing Obi-Wan in his head.
- Obi-Wan and Yoda drop hints to Luke about Yoda's identity the whole time - rather than just telling him.
- The relationship between Luke and Yoda shifts immediately after Yoda's identity is revealed.
- Ben says "Was I any different?". This is a glimpse into the back story of Obi-Wan.
- The training method used by Yoda with Obi-Wan and other Jedi.
- Are Jedi allowed to have some time off to party during their training.
- The lighting in this scene really adds to the overall effect of Yoda's 'regalness'.
- Referenced: Ricochet Rabbit.
- Yoda and Obi-Wan have been talking to each other since they were both exiled.
- Obi-Wan must have been watching Luke and Yoda the whole time and just shaking his head at Luke's attitude.
- This sequence is very different in the Leigh Brackett draft script:
- Yoda is going through Luke's stuff, pulls out Luke's lightsaber and demonstrates his prowess with the weapon.
- Luke is mystified and perplexed by this.
- Yoda then summons Obi-Wan by holding the lightsaber aloft and calling for him.
- Obi-Wan appears and he and Yoda conduct a demonstration lightsaber fight for Luke.
- Is there call-blocking / voicemail on Force phone calls. Luke really needs this given the number of Force ghosts following him around (Obi-Wan, Annakin, Yoda etc.).
- Pete revealed that he is anti-Emperor in ESB 54. What does he think of the mysticism of Yoda and his friends? Pete says:
- It's better than the Emperor as the teaching is more philosophical - not physical or spiritual.
- Yoda is a more complete character than the Emperor.
- Alex says that the Emperor's goals are never really clear in the movies.
- The Director had Mark Hamill hit his head on the ceiling of the hut 16 times to get the final take. This scene could have included more physical comedy - e.g. Luke's head could have smashed through the hut's ceiling.
- Tony is very busy at Fonzworth Plumbing but he should be able to make it back for tomorrow's podcast episode.
- 22:32 podcast episode length.
- Tony is a returning champion. Tony was waiting by the phone with bated breath for the last two and a half years.
- Tony: And I'm Tony Consiglio from Fonzworth Plumbing. If you need your pipes cleaned then call me.
- Alex: <Excitedly to Tony> What's the future like? Tony: Meh!
- Pete: <As Luke> Stop wasting my time Muppet!
- Alex: <As Obi-Wan talking to Luke about Yoda> He's kind of short and all like "Oh, The Force you must learn". He talks kind of jibber-jabbery all the time.
- Alex: <As Luke to Yoda> Oh, you're wrecking my camp, you're stealing my lamp; some other word that rhymes with amp. Pete: You ruined my guitar amp! Alex: Nice call back <to ESB 49>.
- Tony: <Yoda impersonation.>
- Alex: <As Obi-Wan> This is our new hope? I should have chosen Biggs.
- Pete: I'd like to take this opportunity to promote my new book "How I made a Million Using The Force".
- Alex: <To Pete> You're pro-Yoda Pete: Proda!