Empire Minute 7: Rush Hour in the Ice Tube
(Redirected from The Empire Strikes Back 7)Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
January 21st, 2014
Han walks away into the quiet corridor adjoining the command center. Leia stews a moment, then hurries after him.
- Starts with Han and Leia having a scowling, glaring disagreement and ends with C-3PO worrying about whether clothes will dry in time.
- First time Leia calls Han by his name in the trilogy.
- Line "I'd just as soon kiss a Wookiee" heard (said by Leia).
- Story and character arcs have already been established by this minute of the movie.
- The name Hans instead of Han.
- There is a lot of business and activity going on in the Rebel base, especially the corridor that Han and Leia are standing in. It must be rush hour in the ice tube. One guy takes a very big risk by walking right in between Han and Leia - the stars of the Rebellion. The timing of all the actors in this scene is amazing.
- Mentioned: Klinger from M*A*S*H.
- Shoutout to Irvin Kershner for letting his actors improvise. Harrison Ford seems to be the actor best served by this approach.
- Han seems to enjoy the structure and hierarchy of the Rebel military service especially given that, according to EU, he was in the Imperial Academy at one stage on the path to becoming a Stormtrooper.
- The awkward look exchanged between Leia and another Rebel after Han yells "You could do with a good kiss" at her. What the Rebel probably did after hearing this.
- How did they make the ice tubes / corridors / caves? Early draft versions of the script refer to the Rebels blasting these out to make the base.
- The comedy bit between C-3PO and R2-D2 as they walk in:
- C-3PO didn't know that it was supposed to be freezing in Leia's chambers.
- He therefore turned up the heat.
- This melted the ice.
- Which in turned soaked Leia's clothes...
- Jackie says that R2-D2 must be a "he" because:
- He's got chutzpah and some get-up-and-go.
- He takes the initiative.
- He's willing to "reinterpret his orders" (i.e. he's not a good listener).
- (Jackie then says that these traits are actually shared by just as many women as men.)
- Referenced and briefly discussed: The Transformers.
- 12:30 podcast episode length.
- Jackie needs to silence her phone, as it will ring again "tomorrow".
- Referenced: Star Wars, Han Solo, Redwall and Dragonland books / novels.
- The hosts mention that Disney had put together a panel to decide what from the EU was to remain canon. This was prior to the decision that all the EU would be rebranded as Star Wars Legends. Pete says that he would not be a good member of that panel as he would just say NO to everything.
- Alex points out that "Episode 4" starts with a laser battle while 'Episode 5" starts primarily with character development.
- Request to Support the Show. The hosts discuss getting an Instagram account.
- Alex: If he was Hans, I can't help but picture him in lederhosen.
- Alex: That's my boss, clearly in a bad mood. I should walk right between them.