Last Jedi Minute 1: Decimated
(Redirected from The Last Jedi 1)Jump to navigation Jump to search
February 1st, 2021
Alex and Pete begin their coverage of Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
- Starts off with a black pre-logo void, symbolic of the emptiness we all want to fill with Star Wars.
- Ends with the opening crawl. Leia is certain that Jedi Master Luke Skywalker will—.
- Plugs at the top of the show.
- Since recording is remote, the podcast is also a video podcast on YouTube.
- If you watch this movie on Disney+ you get the chrome flashing Star Wars branding but you don't get that if you're watching the Blu-rays.
- The minutes will be out of sync in future versions. Mentioned: starting over.
- Just like in Empire Strikes Back, in the last movie we thought the good guys won but turns out that didn't matter much.
- Mentioned future Star Wars films, Rogue Squadron.
- What does it mean that "the First Order Reigns"?
- Guess we need to read the ancillary material.
- Pete is reading The Last Jedi novelization.
- We didn't know the behind-the-scenes politics in the Original Trilogy either, and when Lucas filled it in for the Prequels people complained.
- The Last Jedi screenplay at the Academy Awards library.
- Deleted scenes and commentary on Disney+.
- It's galling that they spent so much money and effort on things cut out of the movie or that you only see for a second.
- But we supposed it's better than the alternative.
- Roman numerals in movie titles/Super Bowls/Motion picture copyrights.
- Memories of seeing the movie for the first time.
- Two words in the crawl that are distinctly Roman in origin, and used to have very specific meanings but now are used very generally:
- Nerd grammatical quibbles over the meaning of the word.
- Referenced: the "Battlestar Galactica" reboot.
- (Same sentence) Legions.
- The working (camouflage) title was "Space Bear".
- Follow the show on Social Media. Plug for The Mindalorian.
- Bonus episodes on Patreon
- 28:38 podcast episode length.
- This marks the end of the longest ever hiatus.
- The episode link (see below) has the wrong movie name and episode number.
- This is the first time on the main show that Alex has mentioned his new web domain.
- $11 million (the budget for Star Wars) is equivalent to about $48 million in 2017 (when The Last Jedi was released). Taking the average estimated budget for TLJ, you could make just over 5 ANHs for the price of one TLJ.
- This movie uses Arabic numerals (not Roman numerals) for the copyright year.
- Pete: This is going to lead to some discussion. Alex: one would hope.
- Pete: (Re: "Star Wars: The Bad Batch") ...no that's another thing we don't know anything about.