Last Jedi Minute 54: Rain
(Redirected from The Last Jedi 54)Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
April 15th, 2021
Ren & Rey wrap up their rap session with guest commentator Ralph Attanasia!
- Starts with Kylo Ren saying "the night that I destroyed his temple temple, did he tell you why?" Ends with Finn asking Rose if she knows this place (Canto Bight).
- The name "Driver Ridley" vs "Ridley Driver": private school vs. private investigator.
- Ralph's story of how he made friends with the bully in high school by correcting him about which bad name he had called him (after the bully bumped into him in the hallway). It earned his respect.
- Kylo Ren's line echo's Darth Vader's big line ("Ob-Wan never told you...") and sets up a "he told me enough!" quote.
- Different easily imitable celebrities who could have been under Darth Vader's mask for the big reveal in Return of the Jedi.
- Any chance that Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver were together in the studio when they filmed this? It does seem unlikely, but they are still able to play off each other very well.
- When Kylo Ren says "I know I am [a monster]", what does he mean by that? It's cool that it's ambiguous because you can bring something to consuming this film as opposed to being handed everything.
- Ralph isn't sure that he likes the character of Kylo Ren.
- We like Adam Driver and think he's a good actor, but without a strong close to his arc, the character suffers. He's best in this movie, weaker in the other two sequel films.
- Comparing Adam Driver's Kylo Ren to Hayden Christensen's interpretation of Anakin Skywalker becoming Darth Vader.
- In the first Force call, nothing physically changed hands, but at the end of this one Kylo Ren notices the rain on his glove.
- If your name was "Rian" spelled with an 'i', you'd probably have people mispronouncing it as "rain" all the time. Would that make you less eager to use rain in your films? Mentioned: Rainn Wilson and his connection to Star Trek.
- Pete's "beef" with the Star Trek Minute guys because they didn't start with the first movie they started with the second one. Not only did they not go in release order, but they skipped one of his favorite Star Trek movies.
- Brief digression into Muppet talk.
- Finn is definitely flying the ship, when did he have time to learn to do that?
- Alex's theory is that Finn isn't actually flying the ship, but Rose is just letting him have his moment. Referenced: "The Simpsons".
- Mentioned: Rose Tico tase crazy.
- There has to be air traffic control on busy planets right? Mentioned: the rebel speed trap guy.
- Ralph usually watches the minutes many times and writes a bunch of notes, but not this time. *Referenced: the Old El Paso TV spot "¿porque no los dos?"
- Ralph's TLJ memories.
He saw the movie opening night in Jersey City, NJ and then again later that week. He wasn't a big fan when it first came out because all the things that he didn't like about it were overwhelming the things that he did like. As with many movies, it smoothed out for him on the second viewing. See also: Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Pete feels that way about Ang Lee's Hulk. He didn't like it at all the first viewing but saw the next day with a friend and absolutely loved it. He "got it" the second time.
- Mentioned: people don't like it when we talk about the toys.
- This it kind of a transitional minute, we'll have more to talk about tomorrow.
- 23:28 podcast episode length.
- Audio only