Last Jedi Minute 24: Trees
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
March 4th, 2021
Our first look at the sacred Jedi texts required we book Chris Radtke as our guest commentator!
- Starts with Luke being surprised to see Rey being called by the Force, and ends with Rey saying she knows this place.
- First appearance of the Temple Island Magic Tree.
- First books to appear in the Star Wars movies.
- People in movies always seem to react with terror when they hear vaguely sinister whispers (as opposed to just plain curiosity).
- The tree itself is the first Jedi Temple.
- Luke asks Rey "Who are you?" This is the central idea of her character in Johnson's vision; who she is doesn't matter, it's not all about bloodlines. But then J. J. walked back on that.
- Considering they must be so old, how could you possibly know that this is the first Jedi temple and the original Jedi texts?
- Maybe this is a haunted house that Luke set up last night.
- Once Rey stops paying attention to Luke and starts following the call of the tree, Luke follows after her (showing that he definitely is doing this for attention).
- Luke having an antagonistic relationship with the tree.
- It's weird to keep books (made from paper) inside of a tree. Maybe it's Uneti wood paper.
- If a young person showed up at your door asking to be your apprentice what would your reaction be?
- Chris would embrace it as he has in the past. Mentioned: "Street The Retailer".
- Stories about Alex's comic book interns.
- Luke's nightmare is that a young person shows up at his door claiming to be the new chosen one asked me to be trained,and he says as much.
- Mentioned Baby Yoda and his continuing Adventures. Referenced: Gary Coleman in the Edmonton Oilers locker room.
- Other times they say "who are you?" in Star Wars (note: see below)?
- The Wikipedia article about pop culture references to Star Wars.
- Examples from "A.L.F.," "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine", "Roseanne" and "Knight Rider".
- Radtke asks the guys what their favorite Star Wars references in non Star Wars things are. Mentioned: the Shockmaster
- How people forgot about the Jedi between Revenge of the Sith and a new hope. Referenced: the Dark Ages.
- For Alex, it's Bill Murray's Star Wars Lounge song and the guy who said the titular line in Star Wars as well as "go see a star war" from "Arrested Development".
- 27:19 podcast episode length.
- Speaking of being "haunted by a Jawa", the "Jawa ghost" is a bit of a running joke on the Indiana Jones Minute.
- One notable example of someone in Star Wars saying "Who are you?" is from the trailer for Force Awakens, but not the film itself. User:TheDorkSideOfTheFarce posted a couple more examples to the SWMLS message board.
- The question of "what's your favorite reference to Star Wars in a non-Star Wars context has come up before, most notably in a Jek Porkins Memorial Sexology on an episode of SWM:WE.
- Radtke: (as Obi-Wan) —but look I've got a sand igloo.
- Audio only