Star Wars Minute 83: Crazy Chasm
From The Star Wars Minute Wiki
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
September 25th, 2013
Ben enters a humming service trench that powers the huge tractor beam.
- Starts off with R2-D2 managing to finally shut down all of the garbage mashers and ends with Ben Kenobi on the ledge at the tractor beam getting ready to shut it down.
- Lots of shutting down in this minute.
- Some maintenance guy will get in trouble for R2-D2 shutting down ALL the trash compactors.
- Why such loud celebrating when they're still trying to escape? Perhaps the Stormtroopers just assumed that once the trash compactor started it was 'job done'.
- C-3PO thinking that they are dying when they're actually celebrating is a funny, organic joke - unlike CG robots stepping in poop.
- Pete raises his theory about Threepio being willing to let them get crushed and thinks that C-3PO may be 'protesting too much'. He seems genuinely upset, but Threepio seems genuinely upset at everything.
- Referenced: Werner Herzog.
- Can R2-D2 control everything in The Death Star from the sugar cube control panel? If so, the hosts imagine other attack scenarios that the rebels could have used:
- Kamikaze mission in which R2 blows The Death Star up right there and then.
- Send a bunch of droids in to sabotage it or inject a virus.
- Lock all the doors, trapping people where they are.
- Ben is walking around The Death Star with other people and no-one seems to react. Is he using The Force to disguise himself? Doug says that Ben is a magical character in the movie.
- Alex raises deleted scenes in which Luke, Han and Leia are walking around The Death Star hiding their guns behind their backs. This will become relevant in a later minute.
- Or maybe The Death Star is just a big city with lots of people walking around all the time. If so, many lives are lost when it blows up - so who are the good guys and the bad guys really?
- Pete raises an earlier draft of the script in which:
- Ben is actually sneaking around to find the Kyber Crystal (a crystal that is linked to The Force).
- To get to where he is going, he needs to go through a conference room occupied by a group of Imperial Officers.
- To get through the room, Obi-Wan chokes all of the Imperial Officers at once and then walks through the room.
- This is a very different Obi-Wan and they obviously decided to take the character in a different direction (i.e. more peaceful using mind control).
- Referenced: Indiana Jones and possible links with the Kyber Crystal.
- Good guys only choke something once in the movies - Luke chokes a Gamorrean Guard at Jabba's palace in ROTJ (although Pete points out that it is not clear if Luke is a good or bad guy at this point in that movie). Good guys generally don't shoot lightning or choke things.
- Great camera shot of Ben on the ledge over the crazy chasm. This goes back to the general lack of safety on The Death Star (no regulations, no hand rails, open pits everywhere, dangerous garbage mashers etc).
- The scale and layout of this scene and the whole Death Star (interior and exterior) seems a bit off and doesn't quite connect throughout the movie.
- The whole chasm is one big, awesome matte painting. These 'low tech' paintings and other special effects create the whole futuristic aura around Star Wars and are very clever.
- 21:49 podcast episode length.
- The potential / inevitable reboot of Star Wars is briefly discussed. (Note - However there is a very noticeable edit during this discussion that cuts the discussion short.)
- See the table below for a summary of a 10-minute conversation that the hosts had at the end of this podcast episode not directly related to the minute being analysed.
- Alex: As C-3PO speaking like Werner Herzog "They have been crushed the same way that life crushes all of us in the end".
- Doug: It's like "Watch your step old man; its quite a drop there".
|Here is a summary of a 10-minute conversation that the hosts had at the end of this podcast episode not directly related to the minute being analysed:
The hosts then discussed the following:
Referenced during this discussion: Super 8; Star Trek; Clerks.