Star Wars Minute 19: The Sad Death of R5-D4
(Redirected from SWM 19)Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
June 27th, 2013.
Minute 19 of Star Wars: Our second-favorite R2 unit meets an untimely demise. Was it...MURDER?
- Takes us from the middle of Luke's whiny Tosche Station line to the sad death of the red droid R5-D4.
- Editing mistake – After R5-D4 blows its motivator, it then re-appears in the droid lineup. It's exactly the same camera shot used twice.
- A comic about R5-D4 depicts its bad motivator as an act of self-sacrifice to help R2-D2 achieve his mission. Alternatively, R2-D2 sabotaged R5-D4.
- R5-D4 appeared in the early Star Wars cards – with Luke crouching down in front of him.
- Luke is hopeless at checking the general condition of droids; the motivator is always the first part that you check.
- Pete the Jawa appears again in this scene to calm R2-D2 down. Pete the Jawa will never be in charge – not confident / assertive enough.
- C-3PO indifferently walking away from R2-D2—another example of C-3PO not really caring about R2 at this point in the movie.
- What would have happened to C-3PO, R2-D2 and the other characters if R5-D4 hadn't of blown up.
- The brief R5-D4 scene as a plot device and general scene-setter.
- Did the Jawas know that R5-D4 was on his 'last legs' when they sold him to Uncle Owen? Also, do R5 units have a known / common fault with their motivators? The Jawas need to maintain their relationship with the Lars'.
- Jawas as excellent retailers.
- 10:19 podcast episode length.
- In reference to a later scene, did the Stormtroopers—while looking for the droids—kill everyone that the Jawas sold droids to on their paper route?
- The story of R5-D4 comes from the Dark Horse Comics anthology "Star Wars Tales 1". In this comic, it is revealed that R5-D4 is also known as "Skippy the Droid".
- R5-D4 and the Bad Motivator later make their way onto a shirt at starwarsminute.com/merch.
- Tricia: I have a bad motivator too. Alex: I hear ya.