Star Wars Minute 88: The Learner
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
October 2nd, 2013
The two Galactic warriors stand perfectly still for a few moments, sizing each other up and waiting for the right moment.
- Starts with Obi-Wan wandering off looking for something (or someone) and ends with the beginning of the lightsaber duel.
- Dynamic close-ups of Han, Chewie and the Stormtroopers running - with different music playing for each of them.
- Iconic Darth Vader pose and camera shot.
- R2-D2 knows more than he's letting on. Also, he seems to be copying a lot of data from the Imperial network.
- C-3PO's weird zombie stagger as he tries to peak around the corner. He ends up hiding behind some Pol Treidum memorial barrels. The Death Star is full of these things.
- Our heroes seem to have an amazing understanding of the layout of the Death Star and where to go.
- Referenced: Scooby-Doo door run; Hanna-Barbera.
- Special edition change in this minute ("Sorry Pete") - the original "open the blast doors" dialogue after Han and Chewie jump through is preceded by new "close the blast doors" dialogue before they jump through. Pete reveals that this line was actually in the original mono mix of the movie and was restored for the special edition (and is therefore ok for him in this instance).
- Referenced: The Story of Star Wars record.
- Obi-Wan teaches Luke that Jedi use The Force for knowledge and defense, and penalizes Luke during his training when he goes on the attack, yet it is Obi-Wan that strikes the first blow in the lightsaber duel. The hosts discuss this apparent contradiction, with special reference to Luke's training at the tree in ESB (in which Luke strikes first and subsequently fails). This leads to the possibility of Obi-Wan failing / being defeated on purpose so that the Rebellion could ultimately win.
- How long was Darth Vader waiting for Obi-Wan?
- Referenced: Fantasy Island.
- No music is played during the lightsaber duel - this makes it much more 'moody'.
- This is the first time that Anakin and Obi-Wan have seen each other since their duel at the end of episode 3. Anakin doesn't seem like the same character; he doesn't seem angry enough - or maybe he's super angry!
- What are Darth Vader and Obi-Wan each thinking at this point?
- 'Learner' is an odd word for Darth Vader to use.
- 15:40 podcast episode length
- Ad-read: Audible.com.
- Pete: Wait, Darth Vader's in this?
- Alex: Jedi - Attitude "Jeditude".
- Adam: The Death Star is also the Destiny Star. You always end up finding what you're looking for.