Empire Minute 103: Sullen Lando
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
June 4th, 2014
An elevator door slides open and Lando, Leia, and Chewbacca race for a large bay overlooking the East Landing Platform. Just as they arrive, Boba Fett's ship takes off against a cloudy sunset sky. In wild anguish, Chewie howls and starts firing at the ship.
- We're on the planet of Bespin, Cloud City specifically.
- Starts with Boba Fett telling the Bespin guards to put Captain Solo in the cargo hold; ends with Luke losing his lightsaber in the carbon freezing chamber as Vader knocks it out of his hand.
- Lando is leading the pack without his cape.
- R2-D2 has been rolling around like a roomba waiting for them.
- R2 must have an app to always track down C-3PO.
- It would be great to see an overhead map - like Pac-Man - of all the characters moving around Cloud City.
- C-3PO is really excited about the imminent danger that they are running into. Maybe he should stay in pieces all the time as he seems to be the most happy with nothing else to fear.
- What was R2-D2 telling C-3PO with his beeps? Where he's been and what he's been doing since they were last together?
- Pronouncing the name Han.
- The audience assumes that they're going to save Han. There were no real cliffhanger finishes in movies up until this point. The fact that Han was frozen has already thrown everyone out of their expectations.
- There is still a chance to save Han but the rescue doesn't work out.
- There is a great camera shot of Leia's reaction as she watches Slave I take off. There is also a sullen Lando standing in the background.
- Exciting music plays as they're running to the platform and then no music when Slave I takes off to add to the shock. Even John Williams was stunned and stopped conducting.
- Chewie shoots at Slave I - what's the best outcome for Han if he hits Slave I and it crashes?
- Is there a hard surface of Bespin?
- If so, and if Slave I did crash, on the surface under Cloud City there is:
- The wreckage of Slave I.
- Luke's hand.
- Dead stormtroopers thrown off the security tower.
- Lots of garbage.
- If Slave I did crash and they went down to investigate then someone would be standing there and be hit with Luke's hand and lightsaber as they fall to the ground.
- Is the lightsaber still on as it falls down? No - there is some kind of dead man switch on it.
- Chewie should have thrown his gun at Slave I.
- What kind of music does Boba Fett listen to on Slave I?
- Lynyrd Skynyrd.
- George Thorogood and the Destroyers.
- Dan Whitley and the Rebel Force Band.
- Space George Thorogood and the Star Destroyers.
- There is a great shot of the stormtroopers shooting and R2 twirling around not sure where to go.
- This is cute when R2 does it but would be terrible if Jar Jar did it.
- Cut straight to the lightsaber battle to take our minds off the cutesy robot scene.
- Corny one-liners run in the family - both Luke and Vader are saying them.
- They are using the comedy writing power of The Force.
- Or Obi-Wan is feeding Luke lines.
- "You'll find I'm full of surprises" is a classic Luke line.
- This is a dangerous line if Vader cuts him open to find out what he's full off.
- If Vader does cut Luke open perhaps he will see his face. Jedi are like Russian nesting dolls in the inside.
- Who are the goatee wearing Star Wars characters? Space Jimmy Smits, Sio Bibble, Ki-Adi-Mundi.
- The Prequels must have been made in the 00s when goatees where cool. Do the characters have tribal tattoos as well?
Promotion for: Star Wars Minute "I Am Your Father's Day Special Live" To air on Father's Day. It will be a live recording for minutes 111 and 112. Guests are Asterios Kokkinos, Kevin Maher and Meredith Woerner. starwarsminute.com/live
- 15:40 podcast episode length.
- Songe: And I'm Songe Riddle, from planet Earth. Pete: Welcome back...to planet Earth.