Empire Minute 20: Executorized
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
February 7th, 2014
The probe droid has spotted Chewbacca who, not thirty feet away, has popped his head over a snow bank. Instantly, the probe robot swings around, its deadly ray ready to fire. But before it can get a shot off, it is hit from behind by a laser bolt, and explodes in a million pieces.
- Imperial probe droid, A.K.A. the Probot
- Looks pretty fake as it rolls along.
- First introduction of the full Imperial March.
- Star Destroyer mania.
- First TIE bomber.
- How bad is this probe droid that Han and Chewie can sneak up on it? Shouldn't it be detecting life forms?
- Why does it shoot at Chewbacca? Has it been blasting everything it's encountered in Hoth?
- Once again Chewbacca is the put-upon servant.
- Do probe droids scuttle or float?
- Mentioned: B'omarr monks, Superman, FX-7
- Parallels between probe droids and drone warfare.
- Did the Probot actually self-destruct, or did Han straight up shoot it in the face?
- At what point does the probe droid's self destruct activate?
- Referenced: Pig Latin, Gentrification.
- Shoutout to former guests of the show Tony Consiglio and Gaz Gretsky.
- Star Wars/Other nerd culture-themed weddings.
- Executor Talk.
- "Executor"? Not "Executioner"?
- When Pete was a kid, he didn't realize it was that much bigger.
- Mentioned: Mrs. Doubtfire (1993), Peter Brady from the Brady Bunch.
- Differences from the Brackett Draft
- Vader was not Luke's father in this draft.
- Star Wars (and other video games)
- Referenced: Zork
- Lobot and Probot are siblings.
- 27:26 podcast episode length.
- Callback to minute 4: Alex doesn't believe in horses.
- Sorry, Alex, according to Wookieepedia, probe droids have a repulsorlift engine that lets them operate over any terrain.
- More discussion of the name of the Super Star Destroyer next episode.
- Asterios: Once again Chewbacca gets the sad end of the stick on this. Alex: Sad but not unexpected.
- Alex: Chewie's like, "Can I at least put a coat on?" "No."
- Asterios: (incredulously) What's the point of this podcast if we're not going to talk about whether or not a probe droid has spider legs?!
- Asterios: Ah yes we've launched the Voyager I satellite. Make sure we give it a machine gun and a rocket launcher...
- Alex: (Referring to the probe droid's many arms) That's like bubble wrap to a Wookiee!
- Pete: You just got 'Executorized'!
- Alex (as The Emperor} "I declare the—" <weird falsetto> "I declare the Senate dissolved!" Asterios: <in sinister old man voice> "And by the way, I'm definitely not The Emperor; I'm still Chancellor Palpatine." (as the Senate) "We know you're not Chancellor! We know you're The Emperor—" (as Palpatine) "Hold on one second, I need to go to the bathroom." *walking noises* Comes back, "I'M EMPEROR PALPATINE! EVERYONE SHOULD LISTEN TO CHANCELLOR PALPATINE! That guy's got some great ideas."
- Alex: (à la Deck Officer) Imperial Officer!