Last Jedi Minute 21: Skywalker Castle
(Redirected from The Last Jedi 21)Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
March 1st, 2021
Chris Radtke is back as guest commentator despite Luke Skywalker's repeated pleas to get off his lawn!
- Starts with Rey telling Luke that the First Order is only getting stronger, and ends with Rey following Luke as he goes about his "day in the life" on Ahch-To.
- Now Pete has to buy StarWarsCity.fun.
- Radtke is in the Josh Flanagan Memorial Lounge (Josh got the naming rights this season).
- Mentioned: Dinosaur Jr.
- Radtke is extremely pro-hermit Luke:
- From a story perspective it's a curveball.
- Mark Hamill is not a great actor. He's an exceptional voice actor but not a great actor in front of the camera.
- Mark Hamill's post-Jedi career.
- So we weren't going to get "Luke Skywalker, grizzled battle hero" or "stoic knight and wise leader". Referenced: Ham Salad from Hardware Wars.
- He just doesn't have the gravitas to deliver the the Luke we thought he would be, so instead we get 'weird dumpster guy'.
- Playing to his strengths of actor. If he had been "Luke Skywalker of Skywalker Castle" it wouldn't have been as good.
- Mark Hamill is at the top of his weirdo game delivering a great weirdo performance.
- The map to Luke Skywalker literally leading to behind the Safeway.
Before the movie came out, Radke's wife bought him the Luke Skywalker figure from this movie and there was no lightsaber. His friend who is a film critic went to an advance screening and Radtke asked him if Luke wields his lightsaber at any point. When his friend couldn't give him a straight answer, he knew his expectations were going to be undermined. This is not Josh's Luke, but our Luke is different. Luke in Return of the Jedi never seen fully comfortable with that power over that responsibility; he's still the farm boy so it makes sense this is where his character would go. Radtke would have loved to see Luke Skywalker of Skywalker Castle but that's not we're going to get with this actor. Plus, Radtke's an old man now too and so he understands that you're not the same person you were when you were 18.
- Luke, Yoda, and Obi-Wan – all Jedi Masters who at one point or another considered themselves failures and had to go into hiding – but they handle retirement in different ways.
- Obi-Wan was all too eager to get back into the game.
- Jedi at the peak of their abilities.
- Luke in [Spoilers]"The Mandalorian" parallels Darth Vader in Rogue One.
- We're never satisfied with the amount of expositional dialogue about politics in Star Wars.
- The argument that these are movies for children.
- The 90s kids that love the Prequels.
- Pete's been reading the Land of Oz sequels lately and he wants Warner Brothers to do a HBO Max prestige children's animated Oz series.
- Detour into Oz ancillary material and Jack Pumpkinhead.
- Luke the directly addresses fan expectations that he's going to show up with a laser sword and save the day.
- Also: laser sword.
- "Laser sword" is what people who are ignorant of or don't care about Star Wars say, so for Star Wars Minute fans it's a bit of a self-own / self-deprecating way of referring to it. It's like calling it Star Track; it takes a bit of self-awareness to appreciate.
- Also: laser sword.
- Pete gives away for free the film study equivalent of $100,000 of New York University tuition.
- Mentioned: Bigger Luke Theory.
- Luke gains the cinematic high ground when the power shifts in the conversation.
- Call out to Kevin Maher and Joe Dator.
- Per Chris: Luke Skywalker is the ruiner of unfindable planets.
- Tatooine was supposed to be the planet that was the farthest from the bright center of the universe, but since Luke Skywalker arrived there, now basically every movie has to be set there.
- In 10 years time, Ahch-To will be a tourist destination.
- When Luke Skywalker moves to your planet, gentrification follows.
- Even though he says he doesn't Luke wants the attention. Referenced: Cheap Trick's "I want you to want me".
- Chewbacca just sitting on a bench is great. Mentioned: Chewbacca's life debt.
- Rey is good at waiting; that's what she was doing back on Jakku. Referenced: Tom Petty's "The Waiting".
- 30:14 podcast episode length.
- Pete totally did buy http://starwarscity.fun.
- Since the filming location for Ahch-To is Skellig Michael, Republic of Ireland, the closest Safeway grocery store to Ahch-To (at a distance of approximately 5,000 km, or 3,000 mi) is located in Newark, Deleware.
- Anakin calls Qui-Gon's lightsaber a "laser sword" in minute 42 of The Phantom Menace, so is this a callback?
- Alex: (as Liverpudlian Obi-Wan) Well since your aunt and uncle are dead already we might as well...
- Alex: (in Oliver Twist voice) Rey's pleas, I want some more.
- Radtke: (in accusing voice) I know you Alex Robinson, I know what you're doing!
- Alex: (in rough old man Luke voice) I came all this way to hide! All I did was give Max von Sydow a tiny part of the map and gave the rest to Artoo, I didn't think anyone would figure out how to find me here!
- Pete: First you get Luke Skywalker, then you get Connecticut muffin...
- Radtke: (as Chewie) I've been waiting a long time for this, to sit on a bench and put on my pornography helmet. Alex: (also as Chewie) Daddy needs to see Diahann Carroll!
- Alex: (plugging the patreon shows) We never stop! We have so many opinions about Star Wars!
- Audio only