Empire Minute 8: Deck Officer!
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
January 22nd, 2014
Han abruptly puts his hand over Threepio’s mouth as the deck officer approaches.
- Starts with C-3PO wandering into the hangar, arguing with R2-D2 and looking for Han Solo to tell him something; ends with Han walking around and wondering what happened to Luke.
- First time we see the back of the Millennium Falcon.
- First appearance of 2-1B. He is inspecting some dead tauntauns (this links to the deleted Wampa storyline - see below).
- First appearance of Maj. Bren Derlin (in the tauntaun autopsy scene).
- Played by John Ratzenberger.
- C-3PO tells R2 to switch-off - this must be offensive to droids.
- Han should have told Chewbacca that they were leaving sooner, like before he started saying goodbye to everyone on the base.
- Han yells at Chewbacca - AGAIN! He was probably angry about the whole Leia thing. Especially since he wore his best clothes to speak to Leia and they had no impact on her.
- Clothes may be in short supply in the Star Wars universe; this may explain why C-3PO was so worried about what happened to Leia's clothes (from the previous minute).
- Han stops C-3PO from speaking by putting his hand over C-3PO's mouth-hole. How does this work exactly? Like a mute button?
- What does Han's "why not" response to C-3PO's question mean?
- Han being funny by not replying to, or caring about, what C-3PO asked.
- Han wondering why Luke hasn't checked in yet (i.e. "Why not?").
- C-3PO's question is strange because he is the only one with all of the information at this stage. Possibly something to do with his programming.
- Origin of the Deck Officer running joke:
- Pete quoted this line, and called it out, all of the time as a kid.
- Wampas are loose on the base killing tauntauns.
- Jackie says that this makes sense as something had to live in the caves before the Rebels moved in.
- Alex says that this storyline seems nonsensical - having creatures running around attacking things.
- Pete agrees and says that it is an unnecessary tension device and sounds like something out of a horror movie, not a sci-fi movie.
- (Note - Pete and Alex's description and discussion of this storyline:
- Makes it sound like the scene in TFA whereby the Rathtars escape and start attacking things on Han and Chewie's spaceship.
- Very closely reflects their comments on the value of this scene in TFA.)
- The hosts discuss whether they would want to own a C-3PO and / or an R2-D2 and / or a 2-1B. Opinions are divided.
- All of the dialogue and line readings in this scene are weird.
- Han is hypocritical with the Deck Officer in this minute; he's probably still angry about his fight with Leia.
- 13:47 podcast episode length.
- Jackie's phone rings again; the same as "yesterday". She ultimately turns it off.
- One of the stuntmen to portay a wampa, Terry Richards, is better known as the Arab swordsman shot by Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- Jackie: In regards to Leia "...her bank accounts blow up on Alderaan." ... Alex: "They tried to keep it [their money] in The First Bank of Hoth but all their assets were frozen."
- Jackie: In regards to the Wampas:
- Willy Wampas.
- Oompa Loompa Wampa Rats.
- Alex: Am I going to walk around in my underpants in front of C-3PO?
- Pete: (As the Deck Officer) <sullenly> "Why am I supposed to know where Luke is? I'm not the boss of him."