Jedi Minute 30: Make The Droid Serve Drinks
(Redirected from Return of the Jedi 30)Jump to navigation Jump to search
|←Previous Minute||Next Minute→|
February 13th, 2015
One of the skiffs glides close, revealing Luke, Han, and Chewie — all in bonds — surrounded by guards, one of whom is Lando in disguise.
- Start with Jabba laughing as Luke and Han are escorted to their execution.
- Ends with Jabba pulling Leia closer and telling her something.
- The first shot of Jabba's sail barge and skiffs.
- The other Jabba song.
- How long would it have taken Leia to appreciate Jabba?
- Life in the palace two years later if Luke had been killed by the rancor.
- All of the aliens awkwardly stumble out of the palace. Shasa Tiel (the Ishi Tib) has her arms raised like she's excited.
- The aliens are excited to get out of the house, like kids.
- Mentioned: Spaceballs.
- There is a weird animated shadow man on the sail barge.
- Skiff is not a commonly used word.
- Mentioned: Transformers: The Movie (1986)
- Special Edition changes to this sequence involving a herd of banthas. They look like buffalo on the plains.
- R2-D2 is being used as a drinks waiter. Is the tray available as an attachment that can be purchased or was it made as a custom item?
- Is R2-D2 mixing the drinks as well as serving them? Is there a bar-tender or a bartender droid?
- Referenced: iZac from "Futurama".
- It is suggested that the reason that the bartender in the Cantina in A New Hope hates droids so much is because they're taking bartender jobs.
- Mentioned: Short Circuit (1986).
- A floating droid would be better for serving drinks.
- Other possible jobs for R2-D2 on the sail barge.
- R2-D2 as a moving rubbish bin.
- There is an Ugnaught in the background on the sail barge. Apparently he gets really drunk and was trying to kill Princess Leia.
- Mentioned: Jessica Rabbit.
- These scenes were not filmed in Tunisia; they were filmed in Arizona on a huge, full-scale set.
- The first set was built and left over the weekend but was consumed by the desert sand, so a second set had to be built.
- Using CGI versus practical sets.
- The best type of movies to make for directors, and an alternate career direction for George Lucas.
- Quotes / paraphrases from the Star Wars movies.
- Han and Luke's exchange in this sequence is annoying, not funny and slightly creepy.
- It sounds like Luke says "Landau" instead of "Lando".
- More bad compositing when they're standing on the skiff. It is clearly a blue / green screen.
- Why film effects got worse in the late 80s. Was this due to budget issues?
- The skiff seems like a very dangerous vehicle to be standing up in.
- Jabba's Palace may be the worst Frat House in the galaxy—dangerous and generally boring.
- Jabba and Bib Fortuna are very creepy with Leia at the end of this sequence.
- Leia is staring out the window as if she was trying to catch the score of the game.
- The Jawas sitting on Jabba.
- A half hour into the movie - still a long way to go.
- Thanks to, and from, John and Adam for the week.
- Plug for the podcast Alphabeatical.
- Support the Show.
- 24:00 podcast episode length.
- The song that Max is playing is called "Galactic Dance Blast!".
- Yoxgit first appeared in Cloud City, where he was portrayed by Hazel Allen. The mask was reused for ROTJ but he was played by a different, uncredited, actor.
- Lando has been referred to as "Landau" before. In minute 80 of ESB, Joe Dator revealed that the Lobot headpiece he saw in a museum was marked as belonging to "Landau's assistant."
- Pete: Like a torso in the dungeon.
- Pete: You can't show gin and tonics on ABC Family. You can drink gin and tonics while watching ABC Family; I've tested that theory.
- John: Get me a drink off the robut.
- Pete: (as creepy religious zealot Luke) I'm sorry I couldn't hear you, I was talking to the Force.
- Pete: Ghoooooooooooooooel!